Forums » Mechanical/Technical

• 21 posts
    December 15, 2011 12:06 AM GMT

Alright guys, my buggy has been pissing me off as of late, as from when i bought it the wiring in it is shocking, looks like someone has vomited spagetti down the back of the dash, the lights turn on with no key in, indicators work with no key and the push button start turns the engine over with no key. so im opting for a brand new wiring loom, buggy specific from Machine7.com; has anyone fitted a wiring loom before so maybe i can get some hints and tips for when i get stuck? many thanks.  

• 1105 posts
    December 15, 2011 12:10 AM GMT
    Hi Phyliss, I have re-wired both my buggies for similar reasons. I started from scratch on mine and it isn't very hard if you are methodical... using a pre-fabricated loom should make it really easy.
    • 21 posts
    January 8, 2012 3:08 PM GMT
    Right, ive given it my best, and it's defeated me, ive tried to re-wire the buggy and its gone tits up. i started from the back using a pre-fab'd loom, and got as far as behind the dash, indicators have wires going to them but i don't understand how to link them all together with flasher unit. also goes the same for my headlamps, but i have four wires coming out of those (White/highbeam, Blue/Dipped, green/? and black/?) Also, all of the wires that come collectively out from behind the steering wheel (about 10 wires) i have no idea what they are for. I would absolutley love it if i could connect with someone in the UK via phone or email or something to try and help me solve this before i hand it to an expensive mechanic nearby. i'll see if i can upload pictures.
    • 1105 posts
    January 8, 2012 3:18 PM GMT
    Hi mate, don't panic its not as hard once you get your head around it. Upload some photos if you can and I'll try to help you out, where abouts are you? I live in Warrington
    • 21 posts
    January 8, 2012 3:22 PM GMT
    I live right next to portsmouth :(
    • 1105 posts
    January 8, 2012 3:32 PM GMT
    hmmm not directly around the corner but I don't mind driving if it comes to it...
    First of all, do you have a flasher unit and headlamp relay installed in your buggy already?
    Depending on what year of bug the wires coming out of the steering column will do different things, some will go to the ignition barrel and others to your indicator lever. If you write down which colours or wires you have, I can dig out the corresponding wiring diagram which will make it much easier to identify these.
    • 21 posts
    January 8, 2012 3:39 PM GMT
    right i just tried to upload pictures but my laptop is having none of it. I'll go into the best detail i can:
    IGNITION BARREL:
    Black w Yellow Stripe,
    Black
    Red w Black Stripe
    Thick Red

WIPER MOTOR;
    Black,
    Black w White,
    another smalll Black,
    Black w Yellow bands
    green.

INDICATOR & WIPER SWITCH...... (oh dear)
    Black w Yellow stripe
    Black
    Black w White stripe
    Green
    Black with wide White stripe (was cut off)
    Black w Green stripe
    Brown,
    Black w White stripe
    Brown w Blue stripe (was cut off)
    White + Brown

HEADLIGHTS>
    I know the White is for main beam
    I know the Blue is for dipped
    Extra green wire = ?
    Extra black wire = ?
    I also dont understand how to wire these up to a relay.

i think thats everything ive written down and took photos of today but i cant post the photos :(
    • 21 posts
    January 8, 2012 3:41 PM GMT
    oh btw, the V5 says this is a '71 chassis but the old wiring loom had masonry/household earthing wire in it, thats how bodged it was.
    • 1105 posts
    January 8, 2012 3:48 PM GMT
    ok... I'll have a look through my diagrams, if you want to you can try and email me the photos on webmaster@beachbuggy.eu and I'll upload them for you
    • 21 posts
    January 8, 2012 4:02 PM GMT
    sent! :)
    • 1105 posts
    January 8, 2012 4:25 PM GMT

Right, I got your photos and I am looking through the diagrams.. might take me a couple of minutes but we should be able to figure it out...

• 1105 posts
    January 8, 2012 5:05 PM GMT

The easiest one to begin with is your headlamp relay (the last photo above)

Pin 56 - Is the + input from your battery, if you are using the standard beetle switch for your headlights then this pin connects to pin 56 on the switch.

Pin 30 - Is the + input to the relay itself, it should be on a supply that is turned off when the ignition key is taken out

S - is your change-over signal (low to high beam) and connects to a brown and white cable from the steering column, I must admit that I am a bit confused over this one as you don't seem to have this one and I cannot find a single diagram with a brown cable with a blue stripe, if you are unsure leave this one until last.

Pin 56a - Is the supply to your main beam, white cable in your case.

Pin 56b - is the supply to your dipped beam lamps, it connects to the blue cable on your headlamps

• 21 posts
    January 8, 2012 5:12 PM GMT
    i tell you what, if anyone wants to get in touch and offer advice, preferably on a text, 07850 56 33 01, thats me, phyliss.
    • 1105 posts
    January 8, 2012 5:13 PM GMT

Moving onto the headlamps..

The extra green wire is most likely for parking ligts, some cars have these switch-on automatically as soon as the ignition key is turned (same as pin 30 on the headlamp relay).

The black wire should go to ground.

• 21 posts
    January 8, 2012 5:14 PM GMT
    PROGRESS!!!! HOORAH, im going to try hook some of that up tomorrow.
    • 1105 posts
    January 8, 2012 5:15 PM GMT
    Its a shame you're so far away or I could have simply just popped over and done it for you...
    • 21 posts
    January 8, 2012 5:18 PM GMT
    oh god tell me about it, the really bad thing is im off to Kenya on a 3 month exercise (army) next tuesday and when i get back its very very nearly MOT time.
    one quick one though, i think i connected up the dizzy to the wrong side of the coil as the wiring (points) set on fire, i changed my dizzy for a quick chceck and tried again but no spark in the points and the coil was Uber hot. headaches
    • 23 posts
    January 8, 2012 5:21 PM GMT
    Ha, you should have seen the state of aorange's Manx when he got it...don't envy you task but sure it will be fab when your done :) , defo post pics of the finished product!!
    • 1105 posts
    January 8, 2012 5:33 PM GMT
    The dizzy is connected to the negative side of the coil, but take care not to connect this pin on the coil directly to ground. It can be tempting as it is marked "-" but the coil is meant to discharge through the spark plugs.
    • 21 posts
    January 8, 2012 5:38 PM GMT
    another quick query to your answer for the headlight relay, i only have two on or off switches on the dash that came with it so i dont know what a standard headlight switch looks like reckon you could post a link to a picture of one so i can get hold of one?
    • 1105 posts
    January 8, 2012 7:12 PM GMT

The original headlight switch looks like this, its not a problem if yours is different... we just need to figure out how to connect it.

This post was edited by aorange at January 8, 2012 7:13 PM GMT
    • 21 posts
    January 8, 2012 7:21 PM GMT
    i havent got anything remotely looking like that, just two very simple two pin on/off switches. i shall be purchasing one soon, although is £25 steep?
    • 21 posts
    January 8, 2012 7:22 PM GMT
    http://www.machine7.com/product.php?xProd=3019&xSec=199
    • 21 posts
    January 9, 2012 8:57 AM GMT
    oh i hate my life